Perfect breakfast to kick-start your day!
Morning breakfasts are always confusing as we run short on time and we intend to have a healthy diet to start a day. Poha has always been my savior as it hardly takes 15-20 minutes to be prepared and is not a high-calorie dish.
It is called by various names all over India like Aloo Poha, Kanda Poha, Batata Poha and many more. Poha has literally been India’s favorite breakfast for its taste and its benefits. It is rich in carbohydrate, rich in Vitamin B, rich in protein (when peanuts are added), easily digestible which helps in losing weight. You can also add carrot and beans in the recipe. Serve hot Poha with tea.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- Poha/ flattened rice – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds/ rai – 1 tsp
- Jeera/ Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Kadi patta/ Curry leaves – 7 to 8
- Onion – 1 medium finely chopped
- Green chili – 2
- Potato – 1 medium finely chopped
- Haldi/ Turmeric Powder – 1/3 tsp
- Peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Lemon – 1
- Take a bowl and soak Poha in water for 10 minutes. (Time for soaking depends on the thickness of poha. If Poha is thin you can soak for 5 minutes). Drain the poha and add salt and sugar to it.
- Take a frying pan, add 1 tbsp oil and roast peanuts till they turn dark brown in color. Keep roasted peanuts aside.
- In the frying pan, add remaining oil then add rai, jeera, kadi patta and let it splutter.
- Add green chili and chopped onions, saute it will onion changes its color.
- Add chopped potato, haldi and salt, saute it. Cover the pan for 5 minutes and let potatoes to cook on low flame.
- Add poha and mix it well. Cover it for 2 minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Add finely chopped coriander leaves, roasted peanuts and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle sev namkeen on Poha while serving.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for healthy breakfast. Do share image of Poha prepared by you and experience in the comment section below.